E. Lell*District Calculator Information
While it is the district’s endeavor to provide all students with the technological resources for a successful mathematics PARCC administration transition, we strongly recommend that each student purchase their own graphing calculator. The TI-84 calculator will be an integral component during mathematics instruction for students in the Edison Public Schools from Algebra 1 through advanced courses such as AP Calculus and AP Statistics. Students will be able to customize their learning needs, not only during school based instruction, but through practice at home as well. This investment will continue to assist students beyond their high school career well into their college coursework.
The Texas Instruments TI-84+ graphing calculator is the standard for the mathematics PARCC calculator based questions. The mathematics PARCC test will emulate its use for the Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 courses.
- The vision of the mathematics standards is focused on achieving one central goal: to enable ALL of New Jersey’s children to acquire the mathematical skills, understanding, and attitudes they need to be successful in their careers and daily lives.
- Students at Edison High School are required to successfully complete a mathematics course in grades 9, 10, 11 and 12. Student placement is based upon aptitude, district criteria, and classroom performance.
- Department offerings are available in the district’s program of studies. All courses are aligned with the New Jersey Student Learning Standards for Mathematics.
- Mathematics teachers at Edison High School are the department’s greatest resource. Besides upholding an excellent and thorough knowledge of the subject, each teacher utilizes differentiated instructional strategies that enhance student success. In-service programs and workshops are conducted throughout the year to assure professional growth for all of our teachers.
- The Edison High School Mathematics Department focuses not only on the content of the curriculum but the application to real-life situations reinforcing 21st Century Skills. Our students will be prepared for the challenges they will face during their college experience. Calculators, computers, manipulatives, technology and the internet are used as tools to enhance learning and assist in problem solving.
- In this ever changing world, students who have a solid understanding and foundation of mathematics, will have multiple opportunities throughout their lives. The Edison High School Mathematics Department is committed to providing all students with the opportunity and support necessary to learn, explore, and apply mathematics.