School Social Workers
School Social Workers
New Jersey Association of School Social Workers
School social workers are members of the Child Study Team that are responsible for helping students resolve personal, emotional, and social problems that interfere with their adjustment to school. Support is provided to help students enjoy the fullest benefits of the education offered to them. School social workers are certified by the New Jersey Department of Education and have a Master’s Degree in Social Work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participates in the evaluation, classification and placement of all pupils with special needs.
- Assesses a student in terms of personal and family history, socio-economic and cultural differences.
- Evaluates the configuration of factors within the home, community and school as related to a student’s current and academic adjustment.
- Interprets the implication of significant social findings as a member of the child study team and participates in educational planning for exceptional students.
- Plans meetings with family members to asses past and present history and development that is relevant to the child’s adjustment.
- Maintains an ongoing relationship with families for the purpose of sharing information, assisting the family and providing counseling to the family and student.
- Initiates, facilitates and maintains liaison with community agencies and other resources to meet special needs.
- Consults with administration and staff regarding social adjustment factors of students in school, at home and in the community.
- Counsels groups of students and/or parents regarding social adjustment problems.
- Assists in coordinating, developing, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of Individual Education Plans.
- Provides crisis intervention, support, and referral services.
Edison School Social Workers:
Darlene Agresta, LCSW-HHMS
Elissa Both, LCSW-EELC
Sarah Brennessel, LCSW - FDR/James Monroe
Amy Bruno, LSW-Woodbrook
Holly Clark, LCSW-JAMS/WWMS
Katherine Harrison, LSW-TJSM/JPS
Ana Mac-Lean, LCSW- Ben Franklin
Kasey Torre, LSW-OOD
Maria Villar, MSW-EELC
Melissa Wertz, MSW-EHS
Middlesex County Directory of Children’s Medical Services
Division of Developmental Disabilities
New Jersey Children’s System of Care – Perform Care
New Jersey Department of Children and Families
Edison Department of Health and Human Services