The Edison Township Preschool Program is dedicated to providing early childhood education for preschool-aged children with disabilities together with their peers in a supportive and safe learning environment which fosters individual growth.
Our mission is to prepare each child to become increasingly independent, to maximize readiness for more formal school experiences, to encourage each child to become a life-long learner, and to engage the parents and guardians in their child’s educational experience.
Specifically, the Edison Township Preschool Program strives to:
- Provide a well-balanced, developmentally appropriate, literacy-based curriculum through High Scope and Rethink.
- Ensure that there is an environment in which children learn through play.
- Create and maintain an inclusive learning and play environment for children with and without disabilities.
- Ensure smooth and effective transitions.
- Provide and support ongoing educational opportunities and training for staff and parents.
- Establish and nurture parent partnerships.
- Establish and nurture collaborative relationships within the Edison community.
The week of 12/2, ELC will host its Annual Book Fair. I am very excited about this event and I encourage you to begin early to cultivate a love of reading in your child. Research shows that children who are read to by their parents in the pre-reading stage of development, develop a stronger relationship with their parents, achieve academic excellence, develop basic speech skills quickly, gain more logical thinking skills, become more easily acclimated to new experiences, develop a longer attention span and better self-discipline, and acquire the concept that reading is FUN!!! I encourage you to get them hooked on reading early by coming to our book fair, buying a book, and spending some one-on-one time reading to your child.